Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Sharon van Etten

I'll be writing about Sharon van Etten's third album Tramp later for Dusted, but meanwhile, let me just say that it's great and it builds on the guttier, more empowered things she was doing with Epic without, in any way, compromising the fragility and purity that you heard in her self-titled debut.

It's gotta be top ten for 2012 -- along with Shearwater's Animal Joy -- and if you live in a major city in the eastern half of the U.S. or Canada, you've got a pretty good shot at seeing them together. Lucky you.

Dates
02/10/12 Philadelphia, PA - Johnny Brenda's w/ Shearwater
02/11/12 Washington, DC - Black Cat w/ Shearwater
02/12/12 Carrboro, NC - Cat's Cradle w/ Shearwater
02/14/12 Columbus, OH - Wexner Center w/ Shearwater
02/15/12 Newport, KY - Southgate House w/ Shearwater
02/16/12 Chicago, IL - Lincoln Hall w/ Shearwater
02/17/12 Chicago, IL - Lincoln Hall w/ Shearwater
02/18/12 Minneapolis, MN - Cedar Cultural Center w/ Shearwater
02/21/12 Toronto, ON - Lee's Palace w/ Shearwater
02/22/12 Montreal, QC - Il Motore w/ Shearwater
02/23/12 Boston, MA - Paradise w/ Shearwater
02/24/12 Brooklyn, NY - Music Hall of Williamsburg w/ Shearwater
02/25/12 New York, NY - Bowery Ballroom w/ Shearwater

Here's "Serpents" from Tramp

7 comments:

Jean-Luc Garbo said...

I suspected as much when I heard "Serpents" but it's good to have it confirmed from you. I'm anticipating the album greatly. I hope to see her at Southgate House even though it's a good three hours away now that I've moved.

jenniferpkelly said...

I am considering hauling my ass to Boston for this...weather permitting.

Jean-Luc Garbo said...

I bet that the show will be awesome. I hope you can get there. Are any of your editors asking for a live review?

jenniferpkelly said...

Well, it's have to be Blurt, because Dusted doesn't do show reviews and I'm not doing that for PopMatters anymore (also I did Shearwater last time for PopMatters and, I think, crowded somebody else out and other people should get a chance.) So I don't know but maybe. Blurt was way ahead on the Sharon Van Etten phenomenon.

jenniferpkelly said...

I also have to say that I'm seriously bummed about the concert schedule in Northampton for the next six months. It's just one crap Americana band after another, all year long. I hate going to Boston, especially midweek, because I have to go by myself and I don't get home until 4 in the morning, but I may have to start going.

Jean-Luc Garbo said...

I'm not too happy with much of what comes to my area, either. The trip you'd have to make sounds much worse. I don't know why I thought the live review would show up at Dusted.

jenniferpkelly said...

The depressing thing is that Northampton used to be better. There's one company that controls most of the venues and, while they used to have a lot of twangy shit and local metal bands etc, but they also had some decent stuff. They seem to have eliminated the decent stuff.

The Flywheel has some good under the radar bands sometimes.