Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Josephine Foster's flamenco album

It's clear the floor time again at Jennifer Kelly headquarters (or at least roll back the edge of the CD tide), and in the process of pitching a whole bunch of CDs I will never listen to, I found this one, Anda Jaleo, which I am liking a whole bunch. It came out in 2010 and represents the collaboration between alt.folk/blues singer Josephine Foster and the Spanish guitarist Victor Herrera. It's kind of like the distaff version of Howe Gelb's band of gypsies project, although, Foster slips more readily into the mix than Gelb did, and they're performing traditional songs, not her own compositions. I'm actually not sure it's flamenco, technically, since Herrara is from the northern end of Spain...but there's a song about Seville and castenets in places, what do I know?

Anyway, good stuff, here's a video of them performing together.

No comments: