Thursday, July 21, 2011

Sole and the Skyrider Band's Hello Cruel World

My review of Anticon founder Sole's latest (and incidentally non-Anticon) disc ran yesterday at Blurt. I finished it up saying,

"This is not a feel-good album. A palpable sense of anger - at the music industry, at politicians, at the war machine, at the lack of universal health care, at damned near everything - hangs over the proceedings like a dirty fog. Lyrical moments, the gentle, melodic observation that 'I started as a cell/now I'm a planet losing planet status,' from 'Formal Designation 134340' are widely separated.


And yet, how sharply Holland expresses his rage, how clearly his disappointment reveals betrayed idealism. The world is a dark and greedy place, run by idiots and criminals, and Holland's just reporting what he sees when he says, 'You say I'm pessimistic, as if I'm out of touch/take a look around/I ain't pessimistic enough.' Strong stuff."

More


My favorite song, by far, was "Napolean," which has a cameo from Xiu Xiu.
Sole and the Skyrider Band "Napoleon" (feat Xiu Xiu) by sole...

2 comments:

Jean-Luc Garbo said...

I had no clue Xiu Xiu was on the album. I might check out the whole thing now.

jenniferpkelly said...

I really like it, but my taste in hip hop is suspect.