Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Posies

Have I mentioned that I went to see the Posies once, in Chicago, and by the end of the show, Ken Stringfellow had stripped down to his underwear? Yeah, good show, they were down on the floor for the last third of the set, doing most of the songs I love from Frosting on the Beater, and Ken was in these silky, shiny black briefs that weren’t unequivocally men’s underwear, if you know what I mean. Apparently, he does that when he feels like it’s a good show. It was a good show.

I was impressed. I bought a tee-shirt.

So, anyway, the Posies have a new album out called Blood/Candy, which is damned good, actually…unless you’re one of those hard-headed people like my husband who employs the word “candy-assed” whenever the spectre of power pop rears its head. My son likes it, so there.

There are some interesting cameos – Hugh Cornwall from the Stranglers on “Plastic Paperbacks”, Kay Hanley from Letters to Cleo on “The Glitter Prize” and Lisa Lobsinger, who is part-time front-woman for Broken Social Scene, among other things, on “Licenses to Hide”. “The Glitter Prize” is probably my favorite song on the album, with that knife-edge balance between sweetness and aggression that I like in bands like Teenage Fanclub, Big Star (which is kind of a Posies side-project now) and, obviously, the Posies.

“So Caroline” is pretty good, too

No comments: