Thursday, July 1, 2010

Ty Segall knocks me out again

After a slight dip in my enthusiasm – nothing extreme, just a little “eh” – circa Lemons, I’ve returned to feverish advocacy for Ty Segall, the punk-garage-rockabilly-psych phenom from SF with ties to all the bands out there that I care about – Oh Sees, Fresh & Onlys, Sic Alps, Kelley Stoltz, etc. etc. My review at Dusted (where he was dominating our college radio charts for several weeks in a row) ran yesterday.

I said, ”This is the best album yet from Ty Segall, as joy-ride thrilling as the debut, as clearly delivered as Lemons, but with stronger, more varied writing. Still sloppy, still unpremeditated, but with a little more melody, Melted is the one we’ve have been waiting for.”

Kinda wishy washy, huh?

“Girlfriend” is the best song, but it’s full of good songs.

No comments: