Monday, July 6, 2009

Stevie Nicks unexpectedly reappears in my life

Okay, I'll admit it. I wore out at least one cassette copy of the Stevie Nicks solo album during college...never bought into her fashion aesthetic, but I really liked "Leather & Lace." But, really, I was pretty sure I'd put all that behind me years ago, lives ago, along with Tommy Tu-Tone ("for the price of a dime, I can always turn to you") and (eek, embarrassing) Phil Collins. Then last week Madame shawls and cowboy boots made a surprise return visit to my music-listening life.

First, I started listening to the Dry Spells, Too Soon for Flowers, a really wonderful acid folk debut from a band made up mostly of the female contingent from Citay. They end with a cover...it's "Rhiannon." Which isn't one of the free mp3 giveaways, but here are some others:

"Lost Daughter"

"Batwood"

And also, I began to consider Lightning Dust's Infinite Light, and it occured to me that the only real reference point for Amber Wells' vibrato warped contralto was, you guessed it, Stevie Nicks.

"I Knew"

"Never Seen"

I'm reviewing both records for Dusted, though nothing will go up for a while.


In more legitimate news, I am really, really liking the new Dinosaur Jr., my kitchen recorde of the moment, nothing new here, but who plays else plays the guitar like that?

Also, I'm probably going to see Bowerbirds/Megafaun on Saturday, if I can get away. My son's in "As You Like It" all weekend long, but I think we're going to see the Friday show, not Saturday. Mission of Burma is playing a very low-key show in Northampton the night before, which I can't get to, but hope it means new material.

4 comments:

Ian said...

C'mon, Tusk is genius. Even/especially the Nicks tracks (although yes, I also am not down with her fashion aesthetic).

jenniferpkelly said...

Oh, I don't know about brilliant Ian. London Calling is brilliant. Tusk is just ambitious pop.

Ian said...

I quibble with that "just" there. Honestly, I love London Calling but these days I get a lot more out of Tusk.

jenniferpkelly said...

Oh, wait, you said genius not brilliant.

But still, sorry, can't really get on the Fleetwood Mac bandwagon ... it's like the 80s for Craig Finn, almost killed me once already, let's not remember them too fondly.

But to each his own.