Thursday, November 20, 2008

Moviola

My friend Carson, who is the drummer for Amargosa, slipped me a copy of the reissued Rumors of the Faithful by Moviola a couple of weeks ago, and it has steadily been working its way under my fingernails and into my skin. The album came out a while ago, September 11, 2001 to be exact, ran into some timing issues and quietly dropped into the hole. But it’s wonderful, slack, easy country rockin’ bliss with a layer of fuzz on top of it. Doug Mosurock reviewed a couple of earlier Moviola records this February and found plenty of connections between latter day Columbus lo-fi (Times New Viking, Psychedelic Horseshit) and this. I’m hearing more of a Pollard-ish touch, the perfectly symmetric melodies wrapped in dirty gauze…

Weird that a band named after a video cameras should be so poorly represented on YouTube, but here’s the Myspace:



And, for a limited (7-day) period, a couple of my favorite cuts.

"Exit Pearl"


“Sam’s Curfew”

2 comments:

Blair said...

Moviola is SO great! Way to spread the Columbus love Jen :-)

jenniferpkelly said...

Thanks Blair. I think one of them teaches at Brattleboro High School now, so they're sort of local here, too.